It’s been over 2 years since I blogged about my favorite Trader Joe’s products. Ever since that post, I’ve periodically been asked to do a follow up. It’s not hard to do as I’m always adding some new item to my ever growing “must-have” Trader Joe’s list. I’m a sucker for their free tastings!
So here’s what I’ve been buying lately at Trader Joe’s. Feel free to leave your latest finds in the comments.
1. Black Bean and Cheese Taquitos: Big A gave up beans a while ago except for sometimes in a burrito. When I tried these taquitos she loved them. Of course I make taquitos at home that my husband and I think are good (Little D is not into taquitos at the moment). I usually put these out when we have quesadillas. We dip both in guacamole.
2. Reduced Calorie Apple Juice: I would always see these at Trader Joe’s and the name repelled me. I thought they were a juice drink with just less added sugar. Then my friend had them and she mentioned they were watered down 100% juice (water added to juice — that’s it), the same thing we do at our house. Thanks for saving me as step, TJ!
3. Steamed Lentils with Bruschetta Sauce: I like these lentils for quick lunches. You poke a hole in the bag and microwave for 3 minutes. You add these with the bruschetta sauce and some feta cheese and you have a quick meal. I like to eat this with a chopped apple on the side.
4. Harvest Grains Blend: I stumbled on this grain blend and they sat in he pantry for a while. I finally cooked them with some broth and they were tasty. I like the combo of couscous, orzo baby garbanzo beans and quinoa.
Full disclosure: my kids do not eat this.
5. Vegetable Radiatore: I like this product because it got Big A interested in pasta. I know, what kid doesn’t like pasta? Over a year ago, that was Big A. So I picked these up (they do have added vegetables) and told her we were having colorful pasta. At the dinner table she called them “rainbow pasta” and they have been a favorite ever since. This led to her eating spaghetti and she now will allow red sauce on her pasta and meatballs.
6. Organic Brown Rice: I don’t make brown rice anymore because of this product. The only ingredient is organic brown rice and I love adding it to any meal or as a side dish mixed with a bit of butter.
7. Organic Bread Crumbs: These are the only bread crumbs I’ll use in my baked chicken tenders recipe (in Fearless Feeding). They are crunchy with just the right amount of flavor. Me likey.
8. Organic Low Fat Yogurt Squishers: These yogurt sticks are nice to have around when it gets hot. Like the Chobani tubes, we like to freeze them and have them as a snack. I used to send her to school with yogurt and a spoon but since eating competes with playing, she needs something easier.
9. Short Stack Pancake Syrup: Not everyone in our family likes real Maple syrup. Little D and I do but my husband and Big A don’t. I have been searching for a syrup that doesn’t have all the undesirable stuff the store-bought syrups have. That’s what Trader’s Short Stack Pancake syrup is — it’s thick with no artificial ingredients. It’s certainly not a health food but it’s a good addition to our Sunday pancake day.
10. Organic Popcorn with Olive Oil: Sometimes I forget that popcorn makes a good snack. I saw these and tried them. Soon after, Little D developed a popcorn fetish which has since calmed down. But I like that these are made with olive oil and just the right amount of salt.
While produce is not the reason I shop at Trader Joe’s, I do love their bags of organic spinach and spring mix, organic carrots, organic apples and cuties.
What Trader Joe products are you digging right now?